Home OUA Queen’s Gaels win OUA battle over Nipissing Lakers 80-68

Queen’s Gaels win OUA battle over Nipissing Lakers 80-68

Queen's Gaels' Jesse Graham drives into the paint. His team finished their game against the Nipissing Lakers with an impressive .508 field goal percentage. (Michael Parkinson/Queen's Gaels photo)

KINGSTON, Ont. (from Queen’s Gaels) — The Queen’s Gaels (10-8) won a hard fought contest against the Nipissing Lakers (7-10) 80-68 on Saturday night at the Queen’s ARC.

Game Recap

Tanner Graham (Kingston, Ont.) opened the game with a three-pointer, followed by another short jumper. The Lakers kept it a close contest, creating plenty of opportunities. The Gaels passing gave them the early lead in the game, despite Nipissing being the more dominant team on the boards. The Lakers quickly flipped things by going on a 7-0 run. Graham ended the drought with a quick jump-shot, but a three-point play by the Lakers tied the game up late in the first. Jaz Bains (Brampton, Ont.) ended the first quarter with back-to-back threes and gave the Gaels the lead 25-21.

Mike Shoveller (Arnprior, Ont.) opened the second quarter with a hook-shot. Both teams were stagnant for most of the second frame. Mat Elcock (Waterdown, Ont.) was finally able to sink a triple after going 0-3 in the second quarter. Shoveller was a key player this quarter, recording four rebounds, and six points in the frame. Both teams were evenly matched, without either pulling ahead. A steal and layup by Vincent Wood (Toronto, Ont.) gave the Gaels the lead, once again, but the Lakers would soon even it up again. A clutch three by the Lakers gave them the lead heading into halftime.

Bains opened the third quarter with a fadeaway jumper, followed by a layup. The Gaels were playing air-tight defence, but the Lakers had just a little more juice and managed to score on tough shots. Jesse Graham (Kingston, Ont.), who recorded a technical in the previous possession, rallied his team back, with a tough layup, and a free throw. A late run by the Lakers would make it an eight-point game, at the end of the third quarter.

Elcock got open and sank a three to open the last quarter. Tanner Graham had a huge role on defence, locking down the paint and collecting rebounds. He finished with 12 on the night. A hard-fought rebound by Graham led to Bains running down the floor for an and-one play. Tanner Graham would get the lead for the Gaels, with his own and-one. The Gaels had all the momentum in the fourth quarter, and they were taking advantage of it. Tanner Graham could not be stopped, grabbing a steal for a dunk, soon followed by a three-pointer. With two minutes left up by seven, Tanner Graham launched a prayer with the shot clock winding down and drained it. A driving layup by Bains sealed the win for the Gaels.

By the numbers

51- The Gaels shot 51 per cent from the field
22- Jaz Bains led the team in scoring with 22 points
13- Tanner Graham racked up 13 boards on the night
4- The Gaels limited the Lakers to four points in the fourth quarter

Up Next

The Gaels hit the road next weekend to take on the York Lions Feb. 2 in Toronto.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here